Joni M. Mangino
“My time with a large insurance company at the start of my career, combined with my decades of experience as a practicing litigator, have taught me how to best serve my clients. I always keep the client’s goals and expectations at the forefront when litigating their interests.”
– Joni Mangino
Joni Mangino is a Shareholder at Zimmer Kunz, and is one of the original members of the law firm since its formation in 1988. With more than 30 years of experience, Joni is a seasoned trial attorney who can quickly work through the complexities of a case to determine the best strategy for her clients.
Companies large and small benefit from Joni’s client-focused approach to her cases, relying on her counsel for matters ranging from:
- toxic and environment torts;
- institutional liability;
- civil rights;
- malpractice liability;
- employment litigation matters;
- product liability; and
- employment discrimination.
Throughout her career, she has defended employers, contractors, manufacturers, and suppliers of various types of products in numerous jurisdictions throughout the country. Joni litigates cases for various clients and engages in creative solutions to litigation disputes.
She has successfully defended various religious organizations and non-profits in claims and suits alleging discrimination and physical, mental, and sexual misconduct. Joni also represents various licensed professionals in disciplinary and civil court proceedings. Her experience covers all aspects of litigation from pre-suit investigation to trial of cases in both federal and state courts.
Joni has an established reputation both in and out of the courtroom as a trusted leader in her field. She has served as part of the management of Zimmer Kunz for more than 15 years and is currently the acting President of the Board of Directors. She has also been a long-time member of respected professional organizations such, the Academy of Trial Laws of Allegheny County – an organization whose membership has represented the most exceptional civil trial lawyers in Allegheny County for more than 60 years, Best Lawyers and the Harmonie Group – an invitation-only international network of elite and vetted law firms that have the proven ability to serve the special needs of the risk industry.
Prior to joining Zimmer Kunz, Joni worked with Chubb & Son Insurance Company,. As a litigation specialist for five years, Joni handled all types of complex claims including but not limited to medical, dental, and psychological malpractice, toxic torts, and products liability. Joni’s time at Chubb allows her to have a better understanding of what insurance companies need when retaining a lawyer.
Community involvement has always been a priority for Joni, exemplified by her dedication to various nonprofits over the years. She currently serves on the Governance and Nominating Committee of Catholic Charities and has been a Board Member of Catholic Charities for several years. Outside of work, she is the proud mother of three adult children.
Undergraduate:Westminster College (Pa)., B.A., 1980
Law School:Duquesne University School of Law, 1985
- Law Review
- West Virginia
- New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- 1986-1995 – National Association of Insurance Women
- 1987-1995 – Pittsburgh Claims Association
- 1992-2000 – Western Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association
- 1985-Present – Member, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania and American Bar Associations
- 1996-Present – Member, West Virginia Bar Association
- 1996-Present – Member, Monongalia County Bar Association
- 1997-Present – Member, Allegheny County Academy of Trial Lawyers
- 2003-Present – Member and Liaison for The Harmonie Group
- 2004-2007 – Board of Governors, Allegheny County Academy of Trial Lawyers
- 2006-Present – Member, Defense Research Institute
- 2017 – Present – Board of Trustees of Catholic Charities
- State trial courts and administrative agencies in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio
- Pennsylvania appellate courts
- Federal District Courts of Pennsylvania and West Virginia
- Pennsylvania Multi District Litigation
- 1985-1988 – Meyer, Darragh, Buckler, Bebenek & Eck
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Associate Lawyer
- 1980-1985 – Chubb and Son Insurance
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Claims & Litigation Supervisor
- A founding member of Zimmer Kunz, PLLC and Vice President of the Board of Directors from 2010 – present
- Litigated products liability and asbestos cases in West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio before State and Federal Courts
- Litigated Federal Court actions filed against Defendants by the EEOC for alleged discrimination practices
- Managed and negotiated thousands of cases for multiple clients in Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio and served as National and Regional Counsel
- Tried employment discrimination cases under Title VII and the Americans with Disabilities Act before Federal Court